Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Field Trip to Bad Teinach-Zavelstein

My German classmates and me (teacher, Edith, standing on my left)
I took German classes on and off during our 4 years in Germany.  I took a break during William's first year of life, and then started up again.  I really enjoyed my classes--they were something that was just for me, and I liked having an excuse to get away in the evenings once or twice a week!  My favorite teacher was Edith.  She was so funny and engaging and really taught us a lot of practical German language and knowledge of the country--she talked about politics with us, brought in Aldi flyers and showed us all the best deals, distributed travel brochures and train schedules and quizzed us using those as resources.  She inspired me as a foreign language teacher--I think if I were to teach adult ESL in the future I would use a lot of her techniques!   She made learning German so approachable and applicable in our daily lives.

And...we did fun field trips with our German class, too!  In March 2017, our class did an outing to Bad Teinach-Zavelstein.  I invited my friend, Sabine, and her daughter to join us.

We first visited Burgruine Zavelstein (castle ruins).  It is estimated that this castle was built in the 13th century.



The kids had a ball running around the ruins, checking out all the nooks and crannies.



How about that for a cool spot for a slide?




We climbed a staircase inside the castle to reach the top.  What a view!


So thankful to have such great friends!

Heading back down the stairs

 


I love the pic below of Kea and Drew pushing William through the streets, chatting away in German.


Bad Teinach had a fairly small downtown, with a few cafes and antique shops.  We stumbled upon a mineralbad (spa) as we were walking.



We walked through a pretty crocus field to a restaurant and enjoyed lunch together.  Then, we visited a local shop where they make their own noodles and chocolate.  That's my kind of shop!  The kids enjoyed getting a close up look at how the pasta is packaged.


What a great day!  Was fuer ein toller Tag! :)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful field trip, Kelly! I love that you could have Sabine and Kea join in. Double the fun when you have friends along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete