Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Monday, January 4, 2016

Baumwipfelfad

A few days after Christmas, we visited Baumwipfelfad, a treetop walking path ("baum" means "tree" in German) in the Black Forest.  It was just built last year and is about a 40 minute drive from our house.


The start of the walk was about 18m high (I have no idea how high that is in feet, you'll have to google it--ha!).  It was higher and lower at different points depending on the terrain below.  


There were special spots just off the main path that were for the adventurous types.  Everything was completely closed in with wire mesh below, but it felt really daring to be stepping across these "open" areas way up in the tree tops!




William sat those parts out, but there was a lady in front of me guiding her small toddler over one of the balance beams.  My stomach turned a little looking down but then I thought, "Hey, if a baby can do it, so can I!" ;-)



After awhile, we got to the start of the tower you see in the photos below.  The best part about this walk was that it was completely accessible to families with babies in strollers and people with disabilities.  We saw several people in wheelchairs, even one man who looked to be in his 90s being wheeled up to the top with the biggest smile on his face.



Here we are on the way up

Selfie with my new phone

View at the top
Lunch at the top
There we are on the third level making our way down
We bought Drew a book at the gift store called "Was lebt im Wald?" (What lives in the forest?)  He carried it everywhere for days (even brought it to school today!).



The photos below are so William...found big rock, must try to carry it somewhere.



He got into this teepee of sticks, and said "I sit!"


The kids were in their element in the woods.  They just love it.










I really recommend this walk to my local friends--it was just such a nice (and different!) way to take a walk in the Black Forest.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like fun. I'm glad the boys love the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It warms my heart to see your little naturalists enjoying the woods! I especially love how Drew wanted to carry his book around, so sweet! Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys got some really good shots. The endless trees in the background are just awesome. My favorites are of the boys in the woods. Those are pictures you will love forever! Oh, and of course, your selfie was cool too Kelly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're going with Greg's parents- I just sent them info from your post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete