Our last Christmas market of the year was in Baden-Baden, on December 30th! Just a few Christmas markets run until New Year's Eve. My hairdresser had told me that this was one of her favorite markets, that it was so "niedlich" (cute). We drove there after our walk at Baumwipfelfad.
As a side note, Erica--you'll notice that this was called a "Christkindelsmarkt!" Erica had asked why the markets in America aren't called "Weihnachts" markets. The "Christkind" has two meanings/representations--one is the Christ Child (Jesus) but the other is depicted as a blonde angel. This angel (not Santa) brings the children their gifts on Christmas Eve in Southern Germany. (In Northern Germany, children believe the Weihnachtsmann (Christmas Man--looks more like our American Santa Claus) brings the gifts.) Maybe the American Christmas markets are following the tradition of Southern Germany's Christkind stories and that's why they are called that instead of Weihnachtsmarkt? I have to do some more research.
 |
| "Heaven mail" to the Christkind--kind of like letters to Santa, I guess! |
This was our first time to Baden-Baden. It is known for being a fabulous spa town! It was much bigger than I expected--lots of fancy stores and big, impressive buildings.
This market was big and had a lot of stands, but most were food stands! The food was really good.
|
 |
| This kind of looks like worms, but I swear it is good! Schüpfelnudeln (sauerkraut with noodles and bacon) |
 |
| Heiße schokolade |
 |
| Miniature ponies, standard Christmas market attraction |
 |
| Impressive building right next to the market |
 |
| Pretty stained glass display down this whole path |
 |
| Check out those gorgeous street lamps |
 |
| I bought a hat at the market! |
I think part of the reason we enjoyed this market so much was because William slept through most of it! He woke up just as we were buying Drew a heart cookie, so of course we then bought two. I think he must have heard Drew say "heart cookie" in his sleep. :)
 |
| Carousel ride! |
 |
| My boys <3 |
Heading back to the car after a fun (and very full!) day.
You guys are so good about getting out to see so many different Christmas markets. I really like stained glass so I bet I would have enjoyed a walk down that path. I absolutely loved the pictures of the boys on the carousel but my favorite was the one of you and the 2 boys. A mother and her sons. So special.
ReplyDeletewow, what a beautiful town! I know it's hard living so far away from family and friends, but I can't help but think how story-book your life seems! The boys are so fortunate to have these experiences, and best yet the don't even know that they are anything but normal :-) You guys are doing a great job!
ReplyDelete