Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Ski Schule


Drew had his first ski lesson!  There are two ski lodges at the Hausberg slopes in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  One is American run (through our hotel, the Edelweiss Lodge) and one is German run.  We went to check out the options on Saturday afternoon.  At first we signed him up for the American ski lesson but after checking out the set up/equipment at both lodges, we switched him to the German ski schule.  They were so well organized and had a really attractive teaching area for kids at the bottom of the ski slope.

Playing at the Hausbergbahn
It doesn't seem possible that I could have a kid this big.
On Sunday morning, we got Drew his gear and waited  for him to be sorted into a ski group.  I was glad the head instructor told us Drew would be staying at the bottom of the hill and not taking the gondola up to the other beginner hill.  Put my mama heart at ease--he looks big but is still my baby!



He was put in a group of just 4 kids with a great instructor named Andi.


The first thing Andi did was put the kids on this inner tube snow carousel ride!  I'm guessing it was just to get the kids having fun in the snow right from the start.


Then they practiced pushing themselves around with just one ski on, then kind of cross country skied with 2 skis on while holding onto the ropes you see in the photo below.


While Drew was having his lesson, Jim, William, and I had pretzels and hot drinks by the lodge.





Soon after we moved into a warming hut right by where Drew was having his lesson.



We could watch Drew skiing from the window!



It was so cozy and warm in there--complete with sheepskin throws on the benches.



Jim took William for a ride on a sled.





Drew got a badge to clip onto his coat that said "Ski Schule" and his name.  He said that the instructor told him he was the best one in the group. ;-)  He had a lot of fun.  Next time maybe I will take a lesson!

1 comment:

  1. You should take a lesson, Kelly! I've always thought it would be fun to have ski weekends with kids (once they are all old enough). People around here do it a lot and regularly put kids as young as 2-3yo into ski school (while they ski)!

    The lodge/warming hut does look and sound nice though. I'm glad Drew had a lot of fun! I'm in awe that you guys can just choose American or German ski school--think of all of the Americans that just go straight to the American school and never even consider the German school!

    ReplyDelete