Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Vending Machines Instead of 24 Hour Stores

Did you know that there are very few stores in Germany that are open 24 hours a day?  I've already written about how grocery stores and shops are closed on Sundays in Germany, but even during the week, stores close by 9pm.  This fact requires planning on the part of the individual.  If you are hosting a dinner party on Sunday evening, there is no running out real quick the day of the party to pick up something you forgot!  We are a little spoiled as military families living in Germany because our commissary (grocery store) and exchange (mall) are still open on the base on Sundays.

While we were in Munich, I noticed a vending machine outside of the local Apotheke (pharmacy).




I thought this was a great idea, especially in a college area.  Even when the pharmacy is closed, one can still buy emergency items around the clock.

So, what do you do if you need Tylenol for your child in the middle of the night and you don't have one of these handy vending machines nearby?  I have heard that one Apotheke in a city is open 24 hours, on a rotating schedule.  If you have an emergency in the night and need something, you can look up which Apotheke is open that night.  It may not be your neighborhood pharmacy, but at least it is an option.  

We have become accustomed to the stores being closed here on Sundays.  Sometimes it would be nice to be able to run some errands on both days of the weekend, but it does force us to look for things to do other than shopping.

1 comment:

  1. Genius idea! The vending machine doesn't require a person to be paid by the hour and the store doesn't have to stay open with lights on and other costs of being open! I kinda like how practical the Germans are! Certainly there are better things to do on a Sunday than shopping! When did shopping become a destination or hobby?

    ReplyDelete