The Englischer garten is a large public park in Munich; it is even bigger than New York's Central Park.
The highlight of the park for us was the surfers on the Eisbach River! Before I saw it, I couldn't imagine how there would be big enough waves on which to surf. I guess a water pump creates the wave. It was awesome to see! The guys all line up on either side of the river and take turns surfing for a few moments before jumping out. The water is icy cold (hence the "eis" in "Eisbach").
![]() |
| Do you think the kids liked it? :) |
The current is really swift. I was worried that Drew would fall in.
There are 3 large biergartens in the Englischer Garten. We ate at the Chinese garden. No Chinese food, just decor.
![]() |
| There was a playground and carousel next to the biergarten for the kids. Drew rode on an ostrich. |
William goes along with everything. Love this kid.
We stayed at Das Hotel in München, in the university neighborhood of Munich. This ended up being a great choice. We were super close to the train station, and it was only a 2 stop ride into the center of Munich. We could walk to the Englischer Garten. Like most university neighborhoods, there were great restaurants and boutiques to check out.
![]() |
| Walking back from the Garten after dinner |
We had ice cream at "Der Verrückte Eismacher." This was probably the best ice cream I've had in Europe so far. That's saying a lot! The flavors were so unusual. I got Raspberry Balsamic Basil and Lindor Chocolate. Jim had Milkshake and Toffee. Drew got Oreo.
| "Super Danke Organic Liquids"--trendy spots like any university 'hood |
| The dirndls in this stylish boutique were over 800 Euros each! Mom, you would like the hats in the window. They were embellished with feathers and brooches. |
| We had good burgers for dinner here--a rarity! |
We will stay in this part of town again next time we visit Munich. It was the perfect locale!


















I really enjoyed your descriptions and the photos! I like making the photos big and studying all the details! TMI?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you like the pics, and yes, I want people to click on the photos and look at them bigger! Jim takes such awesome photos!
DeleteIs it hard to get other ethnic food like Chinese in Germany? I guess I never thought of that before!
ReplyDeleteThe most common non-German restaurants are Italian. You can find pretty much anything though in a big city--including Greek, Chinese, etc. In our area, we have Thai and Indian places we like, but good Mexican food and good burgers are pretty hard to come by, in my opinion.
Delete