I had a parent-teacher conference at Drew's school last week. The teacher and I spoke for an hour. She had detailed notes (as well as photos) to share about Drew's social and cognitive development, his fine and gross motor skills, his language acquisition, and more. Everything was very positive: the teacher says Drew is an open, friendly, well-liked classmate and his German language skills have improved so much since the beginning of the year! I have been seeing this first hand. After ten months in German Kindergarten, Drew is speaking in complete sentences in German! (Remember
how I wrote about how he was saying words and phrases in February?) I wanted to write down some of the things I have heard him say recently:
To another girl in his class after her dad dropped her off: "Wo ist deine Papa?" (Where is your dad?)
At a birthday party, while playing with a shark toy: "Ein hai kommt!!" (A shark is coming!)
"Guck mal, Mama, ich habe ein stein gefunden." (Look, Mama, I found a rock.)
"Geht weg!" (Get away!)
"Spiel mit mir." (Play with me)
"Mama, kannst du mir hilfen?" (Mama, can you help me?)
He is doing some code switching. The other day as I was about to cut up an apple for him, he asked me, "Are you going to schneid it up?"
And today, when I was bringing him to school, "Ich kann alleine, Mama. Tschuss!" (I can do it alone, Mama. Bye!)
Our boy is growing up-and speaking German! I am so proud of him.
Wiping happy tears away! I am so proud of him! And proud of you and Jim for giving him these opportunities for learning!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom!
DeleteAgreed!
DeleteThat is awesome Kelly. Soon he will be translating for you and Jim ;)
ReplyDeleteHis accent is better than mine, that's for sure!!
DeleteOut of curiosity Kelly, how have you been picking up your German...obviously you're seeing a lot of it but are you doing studying as well? Really a heck of an opportunity for Drew, pretty darn cool!.
ReplyDeleteHi Pat! I took three courses through the USO on base and that gave me a good foundation. I stopped going when William was born, but since then I still have the chance to practice German every day with our friends from Drew's school. We hang out after pick up and speak a mix of English and German, so I am constantly learning new words and phrases.
DeleteIncredible, Kelly!!! Your boys are so fortunate to be exposed to this new culture and language so early in their lives. It's clear they're going to be super resilient.
ReplyDelete