Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Our Daily Routine in our New Home

Many friends and family members have asked how we are settling in to our new routine here in Germany. Our daily routine here is not too different than it was in the States.  We send Daddy off to work in the morning, get together at a friend's house, the park or pool, go grocery shopping or on other outings, make dinner (thanks to the commissary I am able to make all of the same dishes we enjoyed in the States), etc.

We like the library on post.  We go there about once a week to check out books for both Drew and me.

Self check out station
Drew still loves to read.  Favorites lately are the "Berenstein Bears" and "Froggy" series.  We also rented his first audio book which he really enjoyed.
We shop at the mall.  I laughed when Drew brought me these shoes and told me I should try them on.

We bought Drew's first school supplies at the Real: a tin of 8 wachsmalstifte (crayons).  More on that in another post!


We've enjoyed going to our neighborhood pool.  It is awesome!  The kiddy pool is huge and has two different levels and a slide.  (See Drew on the bottom left of the photo below?)


The main pool has a huge tube slide, a lazy river, a raining mushroom (that sounds funny :)), and an area with bubble jets.  I like how the pools here are surrounded by grass instead of concrete.  People bring blankets, even sun umbrellas/tents, a picnic, and make a whole day of it!


We've met friends at a biergarten for lunch.  It sounds funny for a bunch of moms to meet at a biergarten, but they have good food and always have a nice playground next to the tables so kids and moms stay happy!


We went to Daddy's work picnic.


They had an egg race for the kids.  None of the kids in Drew's age group knew what to do!  Despite our explanations, they just stood there!



We took advantage of an opportunity the base offers called "Parents' Night Out."  We dropped Drew off at the daycare on post and he enjoyed playing outside, eating a snack,and watching a movie with 10+ other preschoolers while we had a date night!


We ate at a fab Thai restaurant...one of the best pad thai dishes we've had!


On the weekends we relax and do stuff around the house but we also try to check out at least one new area.  We took our first train ride into downtown Stuttgart a few weeks ago to eat at the Hamburg Fish Market.



No weekend is complete without some eis (ice cream).


So that's a look into what we've been up to!  Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I just noticed this post today! Thanks for all the new photos! I'm glad to see Drew still likes his books and we roared at the pic of Drew bringing you the studded stilettos! Guess we know what he likes in a gal! What a cutie he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! I'm glad everybody is enjoying the comforts of home and the comforts of German life! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! It's so nice that you have all the things you're used to from back home and a bunch of other cool stuff, too! That pool looked awesome, and I love that the biergartens have playgrounds for kids right there. It also seems like the base has so many great activities and services for you guys. Glad to see you guys so happy there! Oh, and Drew with the shoes for you cracked me up, too! That kid is hilarious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your neighborhood pool is incredible! When will it close for the year? Ours closes on Labor Day, but I'm sure it's different there. Glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pool is amazing! Looks like you guys have so much to do!

    ReplyDelete