Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberammergau, Germany

I haven't done much blogging recently; I'm going to try to catch up from where I left off in December.  I'll quickly recap the last couple months and then I have some other non-travel posts in the works so check back!  Also, please let me know if you're reading!  I love to hear from you.

Here's a look at one of our bigger trips in January to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which is located about 3 hours away from Stuttgart.  

The mountain scenery there is just gorgeous.



We went for dinner at a traditional Bavarian restaurant where two boys performed a slap dancing routine (see video below).

Restaurant/Gasthof Frauendorfer (the streets were still decorated for Christmas, so pretty!)


It snowed a lot the first night and second day of our long weekend there.

View from our hotel window

The Ettal Monastery
The Eibsee (we had hoped to walk around this, but the path hadn't been plowed yet)
Snowy walk through the city of Oberammergau near Garmisch.
We looked in some stores here and took the kids to a reptile zoo.

We went up to the Zugspitze, the highest point in Germany.



Crossing over into Tirol, Austria through a covered walkway on top of the mountain.
Does that count for having visited Austria?

We ate apfelstrudel at an outdoor cafe in downtown Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  We've found that many cafes in Germany keep their tables and chairs outside even in the winter--they just provide blankets and sheepskin throws for the chairs.



Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be a great place to return to in the summer as well.  There are so many outdoor activities that one can do there.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my! Are those photos for real? The scenery? The mountains? The snow? Wow, those views are postcard perfect! You are in some gorgeous territory -- enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my last comment went through. What a beautiful place, Kelly! And of course I love Drew's ND hat, GO IRISH! Love keeping up with your family's adventures through your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura and Shaun,
      No, I didn't see the last comment--thanks for writing again!! It's great to hear from you. We miss you guys!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Kelly! I loved all the mountain photos, they're amazing! And it's amazing that you've been to so many beautiful places! I always enjoy your travelogues. xx

    ReplyDelete