Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Passau, Germany

Passau, Germany is a city in Bavaria that is a popular port for the start of Danube river cruises.  It is situated where three rivers (the Danube, Ilz, and Inn) meet.  Clem and Idona booked a cruise leaving from Passau so we decided to drive them there and make a little weekend trip out of it.  Passau is about 4 hours away from Stuttgart.






After Clem and Idona boarded their ship, we had dinner and spent some time walking around the city.

Altes Bräuhaus
  Dad and Mom, I thought you would find the city apotheke (pharmacy) below interesting.  Click to enlarge and check out that chandelier and fancy ceiling!


We stayed at "Hotel Wilder Mann," right next to the river.  The hotel was in the same building as a glass museum.  The room we had was beautiful and had a "winter garden" (enclosed balcony) just off of our room which was an unexpected bonus.  (I had visions of us relaxing with a glass of wine there after we put the kids to bed but, unfortunately, that was not part of the kids' plan.)



We enjoyed a delicious breakfast there, fit for our Prince William.


We spent an hour or two exploring the city before we left.

     


Morning fog over the Danube
Look at the river through the arch--I love Jim's photos.

"Donau" is "Danube" in German

 Besides the port, Passau's main attraction is St. Stephen's Cathedral, which is home of the largest cathedral organ in the world.  They give daily concerts there.





I found this courtyard outside of the church fascinating.  Pieces of old tombstones are affixed to the walls.  I liked the one of the woman behind me on the left.


Lots of cool arches in this city
"Zur blauen Danube" (To the blue Danube)

If you click on the photo below, you'll see a record of the water line during times when the river flooded into the city.  The most recent flood in June 2013 was the second highest, only topped by a flood in the year 1501!  As we walked through the city, we could see workers still doing a lot of repairs to the streets and buildings nearest to the river.


I'm sure the risk of flood is a concern for the people of Passau who live and work so close to the river, but what a beautiful city it is because of its location on the water.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! I enjoyed reading about your visit and the history! You've been to some wonderful places, Kelly and Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! I always like looking up the history of each city after we visit it. It would probably make sense to do that ahead of time, but we don't always find the time!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful weekend adventure!! So much more interesting than our weekends here in the ole U-S-of-A. Is William still a good traveller? Does he sleep well? Stay in the Ergo for long periods of time? I'm afraid the sleeping would/will be difficult for my little Violet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is pretty good. He loves being in the Ergo. We didn't even bring a stroller that trip because he had Clem and Idona and their luggage in the car and there wasn't room! Bedtime is always a challenge at the hotels...it takes the kids awhile to settle down when we're all in the same hotel room. I had to walk him around the room in the Ergo for about 10 minutes until he fell asleep.

      Delete
  3. Love the photographs! Jim has a great eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun seeing your pics! Brought back good memories -- here's my FB album from our stop in Melk and Passau: https://www.facebook.com/jill.novak.14/media_set?set=a.1383565666215.2051018.1144170186&type=3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I liked looking at your pics! It was so funny to me that I commented "Incredible" on your pic of the flood lines! Haha, I guess the same things are still interesting to me!

      Delete