Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! Please say hello via the comments. I love hearing from you! ~Kelly :)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Schnecke, Corazón, Sweetie

People often stop to peek into my stroller when we are out.  When they see William, the most common thing they say is, "Oh, süss!"  This means "sweet."  I have enjoyed getting to know the terms of endearment that are common in Germany.  Here are a few that I hear often, either when my neighbors are talking to William or when my friends talk to their kids:

meine mäuschen (my little mouse)
schnecke (snail)
süsse (sweetie)
schatz (treasure)

I always enjoyed the terms of endearment in Spanish, too...

cariño (love)
corazón (heart)
muñeco (doll)

For some reason, I like these words more than our English "honey" and "sweetie!"  Perhaps it's just because they are different?  Do you have any special terms of endearment for your babies from your language/culture?

I have bought a few onesies for William with German words:

Schäetzle (little treasure)
Weltmeister (world master)...my friend Monika bought us this one in preparation for the World Cup!
Glückskind (happy kid)

4 comments:

  1. those onesies are so adorable!!!!!!!! you should get him one or two items in each larger size when you leave Germany, so he can always have those keepsakes from his birthplace!

    ps my favorite German word is "snail"! hahah I do love snails, but not many people think they are cute.

    I've always called Emma my sweet chicken (or variations on that) and now I find myself calling Violet that too! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish yells at me for my nicknames for Clara but my Mom tends to call her pumpkin doodle and dolly hoo hoo...no idea what those mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those German words, too! Thanks for sharing them, Kelly. I love the look on Wm's face in the Weltmeister pic! He looks very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love terms of endearment in other languages, too! I wrote a news article for work and included some fun ones: www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/news/international-terms-endearment

    I love William's cute shirts. You dress both boys so adorably.

    ReplyDelete