Haven't heard of Fasching? Maybe you've heard of Carnaval in Spain. No? Well, I'm certain you know of Mardi Gras! These are all different names for the same thing: the festivities and celebrations prior to Lent in Catholic regions of the world. The rowdy celebrations during Germany's Fasching symbolize the driving away of winter and its evil spirits in the hopes of welcoming in spring and warmer weather.
I was studying abroad in Spain during Carnaval 2002. This is the only digital file I have (I must have scanned it. Yes, that was back in the day of film. I came home with over a dozen rolls of films from my time abroad!).
![]() |
| Ayanna and me waiting for the bus to go to a Carnaval fiesta |
I don't remember going to any Carnaval parades, though--do you, AJ? Fasching parades are very popular here in Germany. There are parades in cities both big and small in the weeks leading up to Ash Wednesday. Jim took Drew to Fasching parades in Rothenburg and Tubingen on the weekends while I stayed home with baby William. Jim also went to a parade in Hornberg in the Black Forest with Kris. I went to just one Fasching parade, on Rosmontag (Rose Monday). It was a parade right here in our town. I found it interesting but unnerving, and unlike anything I have ever seen before. I don't have many photos from the parade I went to, so I'll use Jim's pics to describe the parades to you. :)
Every town that has a Fasching parade hangs these streamers made of colorful fabric rags. Many people come out to see the parades.
The majority of the costumes feature an intricately carved wooden mask and elaborate robes. The masks are scary in order to frighten away evil spirits. Click HERE to read an interesting article about Fasching masks.
Although some costumes are just silly and clown-like, most of the costumes are fairly creepy, and the people wearing them intensify that by the way they move down the street erratically, often running one way and then another. The witches ("hexen") drag their brooms down the street and carry noise makers.
| Spooky, tiny-headed bats! |
Naturally, I preferred the bands and groups of marching girls. :)
The parade participants pass out candy, as well as baked goods like pretzels. Drew was given a roll shaped like a mouse by someone dressed like a cat.
| Mouse roll |
There are some floats, tractors, and contraptions that are pulled on carts.
My favorite group had scooters and bikes made entirely out of wood and branches. Even the wheels had been carved out of tree trunks. (I didn't get a photo, unfortunately.)
The biggest difference between the Fasching parades and other parades I have been to is the way in which the parade participants interact with the parade goers. This is not a parade that you just watch march by. The people in costumes came right up to us with a candy for the kids, often teasing them by dangling the candy just out of reach. Young women will be grabbed by someone in the parade, thrown over their shoulder, and carried for a few feet. (This would never happen in the US-someone would probably get sued!))
They carry lipstick and will come up to you and draw on your face--either just a bunch of lines or a picture like a heart. They ruffle hair and pull on pony tails. A little kid in the parade took Drew's hat teasingly. The feeling among parade goers is an "all in good fun" attitude.
Sometimes characters from the parade weaved through the crowd behind us so we always had to be on alert. As a mom, it all made me very nervous! I was worried Drew would be scared or have bad dreams later, but, surprisingly, Drew did not seem fazed by it. He just wanted the candy! If something looked a little scary, he would run to the back of where we were standing, but he did so with a smile.
| Here he is on his perch, unfazed by the parade! |
| Posing with a pig. |
The parades are long and last two-three hours. We never stayed that long.
| Heading home |
Drew also celebrated fasching at his school. They were allowed to wear costumes this past Thursday through (Fat) Tuesday. I didn't understand that at first (thought it was only one day like Halloween) so I only sent him in a costume on the first day (I feel like such a foreigner sometimes, still! Sorry, Drew!). He said he didn't mind.
So, that is Fasching! What do you think?
.jpg)
wow, that looks like so much fun, but I'm surprised Drew wasn't scared too! I would be un-nerved a bit !
ReplyDeleteI love it! Wish I could've been there, you know how I love parades! xx
ReplyDeleteLooked like fun! Which costume did Drew wear to school?
ReplyDeleteHe wore his dragon costume. :)
Delete