Walking and biking is very popular here. The sidewalks are double wide and are meant to be shared: bikers on the left and walkers on the right. I'm glad that we can ride bikes on the sidewalk here; I never felt quite safe riding in the street in the states!
Jill asked on one of my last posts if we are hearing mainly German or English on the streets. Most people seem to be German and nod and say, "Hallo." We are trying to teach Drew to say that instead of "HI!" I haven't used my pocket dictionary yet but will have to remember to put it in my bag next time we go out. I am really anxious to learn some basic niceties, like "excuse me," "where is ____?" etc. I had a nice conversation in English today with a German grandma taking her grandbaby for a walk. She said she has always had American neighbors so has learned English. Drew is already pretty comfortable saying things in German and says, "Guten morgen!" to all the hotel staff when we come downstairs in the morning.
Drew was thrilled to find the playground. About three different Kindergarten groups came to the park while we were there. In one group, all the kids were wearing matching bandanas (kind of like these) with their names stenciled on one side and 2013 stenciled on the other. I thought Drew looked a little out of place in his baseball cap, but when the next group arrived there were several kids in baseball caps as well. Next time we will have to bring a change of clothes...most of the kids changed into swim wear to play in the sand and with the water pumps at this park.
Updated: here are a few more pics from playgrounds we have found...
It looks wonderful! I always enjoy your openness to new things, Kelly! You'll have a lot of new things to experience everyday. I love hearing about them! xx
ReplyDeleteThose playgrounds are so cool looking! I want to play on them! They do look more "challenging" or just not as plastic-y as US playgrounds.
ReplyDeleteHave fun! I echo everything your Mom said, I love how you're open to exploring and trying new things!!
It will be fun to watch Drew adapt to the German style...he'll be sporting bandanas and eating Kinder Surprises in no time! Love your blog! Keep 'em comin'!
ReplyDeleteThose are the coolest playgrounds! It seems like you have lots nearby to choose from, too!
ReplyDelete