I passed my driver's test on Friday!! We are required to get a German driver's license in order to drive our personal vehicles around Germany. The rules and signs are quite different here, so there was a lot to study! We were given study guides and also attended a three hour class in preparation for the test.
I won't bore you with all the details, but here are a few of the interesting differences...
The blue photo below is of a disc we keep in our car. When we park in a spot marked with this sign, we have to adjust the disc to show the time we arrived in the spot and put it on our dashboard.
Below is a priority road sign. If you're on this road, you have the right of way.
Another big difference is that all speed limits etc. are in kilometers so that has taken some getting used to. We learned that an easy way to convert km to miles is to multiply the kilometers by 6 and drop the last digit. 30kph is 18mph.
I'll leave you with one last sign...there were several of these signs in German that we had to memorize. The one below means "Detour." Want to know how I remembered it? "Umleitung...UMMMM...where do I go if that road is closed? Oh, there's the detour!"

Hope you enjoyed this little lesson about driving in Germany! ;-) Now I just have to figure out how to get around without depending too much on my GPS! Tschuss!
I think I would fail this test:)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about the Autobahn! Congrats, Kelly!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I want to see your license!
ReplyDeleteGood job, Kels! I like your "ummm...detour" trick. :) Have you started driving around? Do you feel comfortable doing it?
ReplyDeleteI learned so much... thanks! That "multiply by 6 and drop the 0" is a fantastic trick. Loving your blog!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. Let the fun driving begin!
ReplyDeleteQuestion...was the test in English? Amazing you passed! I'm sure Jim is retaking it for the fourth time by now
ReplyDelete