It has been interesting learning how the Christmas traditions in Germany differ from those we are accustomed to in the States. We are, of course, accustomed to celebrating Advent in the weeks leading up to Christmas. However, one small difference my German teacher pointed out is that the "Adventskranz" (Advent wreath/candles) is just as important in every home as the Christmas tree. (Perhaps Advent calendars alone are more common in the US?) In fact, Drew's class has a large Adventskranz in their classroom and each morning, they light the candles corresponding to the week of Advent and sing songs about Advent.
On December 6, St. Nikolaus visits children in Germany. I was familiar with this custom as we sometimes put out our shoes on St. Nicholas day in our house when we were kids. This year, I wasn't very organized and didn't plan on filling Drew's boots with sweets since I hadn't had a chance to really talk to him about this German tradition ahead of time. However, we were happily surprised when we left our house for school in the morning and found that St. Nikolaus (via our next door neighbor, unbeknownst to Drew) had come! You can click on the photo to enlarge it. He received a wonderful Christmas book in German, a small chocolate St. Nikolaus, a few clementines, and a few walnuts. He was thrilled and I was so touched that I nearly cried (might be the pregnancy hormones, too :))!
When Drew got home from Kindergarten, he said that St. Nikolaus had also visited him at school, and had brought him "ein apfel!!" (said with great enthusiasm). I thought this was the cutest little gift. The head was made out of a walnut with a red leaf glued on top.
Prior to moving here, I didn't realize that St. Nikolaus is the only Santa Claus-like figure that brings gifts in Germany. Santa Claus (or St. Nick) does not bring gifts on Christmas Eve. Instead, the Christkind ("Christ child") brings gifts on that special day, or "Heiliger Abend" (Holy Evening). In fact, the Holy Evening (December 24) is when Germans primarily celebrate Christmas, as opposed to on the 25th, Christmas Day.
I know Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source of information, but this link (click HERE) seemed to match up well with what I have learned about the Christkind from my German teacher and friends. The Christkind does not look like the baby Jesus, but is rather more of an angel figure. According to my German teacher, no one sees the Christkind, but they hear a bell ringing, and when they come back into the room with the Christmas tree, all the gifts have appeared.
I will write more as I learn more, but I thought it was interesting to share a few of these German customs during our first Christmas in Germany.
.jpg)
How fun to learn all of these new customs! Maybe you can pick and choose what to bring home to the states for your family to use every year!
ReplyDeleteI love all your stories Kelly--how neat to immerse yourselves. Sounds like you guys have really great neighbors. Merry Christmas! (Frohe Weinachten, I think? High school was a long time ago...)
ReplyDeleteJeter